Tighten Loose Skin on Arms Naturally With These 10 Proven Tips
Tighten Loose Skin on Arms Naturally With These 10 Proven Tips
Loose skin on arms can be annoying and take a toll on your self-esteem. However, there are natural ways to tighten loose skin on arms that do not require you to break the bank or use invasive surgical procedures. Moreover, you can experiment with all the skin-tightening tips covered here in the comfort of your home!
Before we get to the proven tips for tightening loose skin on arms naturally, let’s first find out what causes the skin on our arms to sag.
What causes loose skin on arms?
To understand why the skin loses its elasticity, we have to get under the hood and define what makes up the largest organ in the body. The skin consists of different kinds of proteins, with two prominent ones being;
Elastin is the stuff that gives our skin its ability to stretch and maintain its tightness. Collagen makes the skin firm and strong and makes up about 80% of the skin's structure.
During growth or weight gain, elastin stretches the skin to accommodate the increasing body mass. Collagen ensures that the skin maintains its firmness after the changes.
When collagen and elastin get damaged, the skin loses its elasticity and firmness, leading to loose skin on the arms. Some factors determine how healthy, elastic, and firm our skin is. They include;
Time- the skin gets damaged if it remains stretched for too long. It is why being overweight damages your skin cells and leaves it looking saggy when you shed off excess weight.
Weight- rapid weight gain and weight loss can cause a lot of stress on the skin. Obesity stretches the skin beyond its limits causing damage to collagen and elastin. Losing a lot of weight in a short period will also leave the skin saggy as your body produces less collagen and elastin.
Age- as we age, the quality and quantity of collagen and elastin produced diminishes.
Genetics- genes can play a significant role in how our skin responds to external stressors. Some people can find it harder to get rid of saggy arm skin than others due to their genetic predisposition.
Smoking- research on smoking and skin health revealed that tobacco does contain toxins that can damage skin cells. The study concluded that tobacco smoke compromises the thickness of the epidermal skin layer. Smoking can cause dry skin and uneven skin pigmentation too.
How to tighten loose skin on arms naturally
Making loose skin on arms firmer won't happen overnight. But with patience and dedication, you can begin to see positive results from the skin tightening tips covered in this post.
Also, it is necessary to consult a trained dermatologist before starting any skin tightening regimen. Getting dermatological advice will help you understand your skin better and what solutions will best work for you.
Without further ado, here are the tips you have been waiting for!
1) Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel can reduce wrinkles and make the skin firmer. Scientific research conducted on 30 participants showed that aloe vera can reduce facial wrinkles and skin roughness.
The secret ingredient in Aloe vera that does all the magic is called malic acid. Malic acid does wonder in improving skin elasticity, and you can find it both in aloe vera gel and aloe vera leaf extract.
While aloe vera is safe for use on the skin, its ingredients can irritate people with sensitive skin. Consult a dermatologist before experimenting with aloe vera on your skin. Some of the ingredients in aloe vera can be allergens that trigger contact dermatitis. If your skin gets red and puffy after using aloe vera, which is inflammation, try other skin-tightening solutions.
How to use Aloe vera gel
- Cut the aloe vera gel in half to expose the gel.
- Rub the gel on loose skin and let it sit for 20 minutes
- Wash your arm with lukewarm water after
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times until you see results
- Extract aloe vera gel onto a small bowl
- Add a tablespoon of honey
- Add a tablespoon of mayonnaise
- Mix and rub the contents on your arms
- Wash with cold water after
2) Oil massage
Oil massages are a great way to tighten loose skin on arms. Olive oil is one of the best massage oils rich in vitamins A and E- considered best for nourishing the skin. Also, scientific studies prove that Olive Oil has anti-aging benefits on our skin.
How to tighten loose skin arm with Olive oil
- Warm-up a bottle of olive oil in a bowl of hot water
- Pour the warm olive oil into your hand
- Massage your arms for about 10 minutes
- Dip a clean cloth in the now lukewarm water
- Wipe your arms
- Repeat this regimen until you start seeing changes
- You can use jojoba oil or almond oil instead of olive oil. They have the same benefits.
3) Egg white and honey combo
There is a good reason why some of the best homemade face masks have egg white in them. Egg white face masks have loads of proteins, vitamins, and minerals that directly benefit the skin. Using an egg white mask can thin out wrinkles on aging skin.
Honey, on the other hand, acts as a natural exfoliator. It moisturizes the skin, clears pimples and acne, and lightens scars. Honey also acts as a pore cleanser and brightens up the skin.
How to use egg white/honey rub on skin
- Beat one egg in a bowl and remove the yolk
- Add two tablespoons of honey
- Whisk the mixture until both ingredients blend
- Apply the egg white-honey rub on your arms
- Leave for 20minutes
- Rinse arms with warm water
- Do this three times a month to tighten up loose arm skin
You could also use some of that egg-white rub as a face mask to clear wrinkles and reverse aging.
4) Ground coffee and coconut oil
Interestingly, while consuming coffee slows down collagen production, using ground coffee as a rub does the exact opposite. When used topically, caffeine in coffee softens the skin and makes it firmer. Ground coffee helps eliminate fat cells in the epidermis and moisturizes the skin while at it. In addition, ground coffee is an excellent exfoliating rub filled with antioxidants that keeps your skin looking youthful longer.
Coconut oil soothes and hydrates the skin. Also, coconut oil helps the skin absorb caffeine easily. Besides being an excellent exfoliant, coconut oil also reduces wrinkles and smooths the skin. A bonus is that coconut oil adds a protective layer to the skin.
How to make ground coffee rub
- ¼ cup ground coffee
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsps. coconut oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl
- Mix into a coarse rub
- Apply the rub on your arms
- Let the rub sit for about 10 mins
- Rinse off with warm water
Incorporate this into your skincare routine, and you will begin to see results.
5) Rosemary and cucumber
Rosemary is an organic herb with proven skin toning qualities. Also, rosemary improves blood circulation-making sure that your skin remains nourished and healthy. Rosemary herb has plenty of antioxidants that slow down the aging process and improve skin elasticity.
Cucumber is ideal for acne removal and reversing premature aging. It soothes irritated skin and reduces swelling caused by inflammation. In addition, cucumber is ideal for keeping the skin hydrated, therefore preventing dryness.
Exercising can be all you need to get rid of loose skin on your arms and make your skin look youthful. Our bodies are like cars. To run efficiently, they need servicing through physical activity.
A gym instructor can help you select specific exercises that target muscle building and toning in your arms. Our favorite go-to physical workouts are;
- Chair dips
Swimming is a no-brainer as far as toning your arms is concerned. The more you swim, the more defined your arm muscles get. A couple of laps in the pool, at least thrice a week, will help you get rid of loose skin on your arms naturally. Swimming is also a great way to eliminate joint pain and keep your limbs healthy.
Yoga is a slow-paced exercise with plenty of movements that target your arm muscles. Moreover, you can practice yoga in your home and enjoy additional benefits such as improved posture and more defined core muscles. All you need is a yoga mat, online yoga lessons, and the determination to get rid of loose skin on your arms naturally!.
If you cannot swim or do yoga, then stretching is all you need to tighten the skin on your arms. You can start with 10 push-ups a day or go for lighter exercises that won't make you strain as much. And there are plenty of them on the internet.
Incorporate more stretching exercises that target your arms, and you will start seeing results.
Chair dips are easy to do anywhere. All you need is a firm chair and your arms.
- Stand in front of the chair and rest your palms at the edge of the chair.
- Your fingers should be facing your back.
- Now lower your body until your thighs form a 90-degree angle with your ankles.
- You will begin to feel the strain on your arms. Which is what we want
- Inhale as you move downwards and exhale as you come back up
- Determine how many reps you do a day and gradually increase them over time
- You will get those arm muscles toned sooner than you think!
Getting rid of loose skin on arms does not have to be expensive. Rather than go for invasive procedures like fat removal surgery, unless it is necessary, you can settle for some of our natural tips for tightening loose skin on arms.
Remember, always consult a professional before trying any skin regimen suggested here. Also, it takes dedication and patience to start seeing some improvement on your arms. So put in the work and restore a youthful you naturally!
- Taraneh Yazdanparast, A. (2022). Cigarettes Smoking and Skin: A Comparison Study of the Biophysical Properties of Skin in Smokers and Non-Smokers. Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7230126/
- (PDF) dietary aloe vera supplementation improves facial ... (n.d.). Retrieved February 25, 2022, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44673993_Dietary_Aloe_Vera_Supplementation_Improves_Facial_Wrinkles_and_Elasticity_and_It_Increases_the_Type_I_Procollagen_Gene_Expression_in_Human_Skin_in_vivo
- Fernández del Río, L., Gutiérrez-Casado, E., Varela-López, A., & Villalba, J. M. (2016, January 29). Olive oil and the hallmarks of aging. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). Retrieved February 25, 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6273542/